OSJD is an international organization established at the Railway Transport Ministers Conference on 28th June 1956 in Sofia (the Republic of Bulgaria). OSJD activity is regulated by the Statute of OSJD, which has been drawn up in the form of an international agreement.
The key objective of OSJD is development of international cargo and passenger transportation, creation of a common railway transport area in the Euro-Asian Region, increasing competitiveness of transcontinental railway routes and contributing to technological progress, scientific and technical cooperation in the field of railway transport.
CCTT-OSJD Cooperation Agreement
At the 16th Plenary meeting of the CCTT on 2nd November 2007 the CCTT and OSJD signed a Cooperation Agreement aimed at:
- improvement of cargo transportation via OSJD transport corridors;
- common analysis of work on the OSJD International Transport Corridor 1, including the Trans-Siberian route and its branches (hereinafter Corridor 1);
- consolidation of positive practices in cargo transportation via Corridor 1;
- elaborating proposals and recommendations on improving cargo transportation via Corridor 1;
- increasing the volumes of cargo transportation via Corridor 1, including intermodal transportation, through creating competitive conditions based on improving the transport service quality, simplifying control procedures on railway transport at border crossings, implementing modern technological processes in international cargo transportation;
- improving the legal base of the transportation process;
- creating a common information space;
- developing a harmonized legal framework for the transportation process on International Transport Corridors;
- planning and execution of test runs of international container block trains.
Today the CCTT and OSJD set themselves the task of working out a joint plan of activities, aimed at development of international multimodal transportation, creation of competitive tariff conditions; they are seeking to achieve positive outcome of harmonization of freight car exploitation regulations, improve the standard of service and attract customers.
The CCTT-OSJD Cooperation
According to the CCTT-OSJD Cooperation Agreement, the CCTT Secretariat participated in the following events and activities of OSJD:
- Joint Meeting of authorized representatives of the members of the OSJD Ministers Conference and the Conference of General Directors of OSJD Railways (14-17 December 2010, Warsaw);
- Expert Meeting on Cargo Transportation and Application of the CIM/SMGS Consignment Note (17-18 February 2011, Warsaw);
- XXVII Meeting of the Conference of General Directors (Authorized Representatives) of OSJD Railways (18-22 April 2011, Dushanbe);
- Meeting of the OSJD Expert Commission on Freight Traffic on the theme “Organization of large-tonnage container transportation between Europe and Asia” (28 June – 1 July, Warsaw);
- OSJD International Conference on Freight Transportation by Rail (30-31 May 2011, Odessa);
- Expert Meeting of the OSJD Standing Working Group on Encoding and IT on the theme “Paperless technology of international freight transportation by rail” (20-22 June 2011, Warsaw);
- Meeting of the OSJD Expert Commission on Freight Traffic on the application of the CIM/SMGS Consignment Note (25-27 August 2011, St. Petersburg);
- Plenary Meeting of the XXXIX session of the OSJD Ministers Conference (6-9 September 2011, Beijing);
- Expert Meeting of the OSJD Standing Working Group on Encoding and IT on the theme “Security on information resources, IT and telecommunication infrastructure” (6-8 September 2011, Warsaw).