The International Union of Railways, or the UIC (French: Union Internationale des Chemins de fer), is an international organization that unites national railway companies for the purpose of joint activities aimed at railway transport development.
Objectives of the UIC
The main of objectives of the UIC is to contribute to promotion and development of railway transport throughout the world. Besides, the UIC’s objectives are to:
- Facilitate the sharing of best practices of the railway transport industry;
- Support members in their efforts to develop new ideas of the railway transport industry;
- Contribute to technological progress;
- Contribute to railway transport standardization and unification;
- Develop centres of competence (Security, e-Business etc.)
- Introduce standard international railway terminology. As a result of this activity a trilingual thesaurus of railway terms was published in 1995.
The Union has also developed standard requirements for containerization and transportation of other cargo types by rail.
The CCTT-UIC cooperation
On 28th March 2012 a redrafted Memorandum of Cooperation between the CCTT and UIC was signed in Paris. The organizations also worked out a Programme of Cooperation for 2012-2015. Both the Memorandum and the Programme were approved at the 80th UIC General Assembly in Philadelphia (9 July 2012).
- Propose new ways to improve technical and environmental performance
- Promote interoperability, create new world standards for railways (including common standards with other transport modes)
- (High Speed, Safety, Security, e-Business, …)
The CCTT and UIC arrived at an agreement on cooperation in the following areas:
- transport policy, scientific and technical information (cooperation being based on modern information technologies);
- international transport corridors (based on the UIC Cargo Transportation Platform and Security Platform)
- innovations: introduction of electronic document flow; development and implementation of joint railway transport projects as well as projects implemented in the interests of transport and logistics companies;
- international education.
In order to implement joint projects in the above mentioned areas the CCTT and UIC will establish specific contact groups for each area.